Healthy holiday eatings, is it possible? The holidays are a great time to reconnect with old friends, see family and meet new people! All three are excellent if you are single and dating. If Aunt Martha sees you again, maybe she can introduce you to her friends cute grandson…maybe your coworkers from the neighboring office catch you eye and you two connect over cocktails. They can be great, but can also be a huge trap for gaining weight and in dating looking and feeling your best are very crucial. You may think it is impossible not to gain weight during this time, but I am here to tell you that eating healthy this holiday season IS possible. Here are a few Health Tips to help you maintain your weight and Survive thru the Holidays….
THIS is NOT a DIET
- Small Adjustments make a HUGE Difference.
- Correct Choices Vs. a Strict Diet.
- Portion Control is the key.
- Ask server not to bring Rolls and Chips to your table
- Choose dishes that comprise of Lean Meats, Fish and Vegtables. Avoid Rice and other starches
- Opt for Sauce and salad dressing on the side.
- Share a dish with someone or ask for a take out box right away and save half for next days lunch.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for substitutions: Baked potato instead of fries, steamed vegetable instead of rice.
- Avoid “Empty” Calories. cheese, sour cream, butter, and mayonnaise…add hot sauce and mustard to add flavor but not calories.
While at Work…..
- Always have a water available at your desk.
- Avoid mindless eating by having healthy snacks on hand like fruit or pretzles.
- Pack your own lunch. This saves you belly rolls and money!
Company Holiday Party…. Open Bar…
- Those “FREE” margaritas are going to cost you…. big time!
- Opt for a glass of Red or White wine
- Drink Light Beer…
- Like mixed drinks? DIET soda or club soda mixed drinks, avoid fruit juice based drinks.
- Bloody Mary… tomato juice is a great antioxidant and the Tabasco sauce kicks up your metabolism.
- You don’t want to make aunt Cindy feel bad for not eating her food….so..
- Fill your plate with WHITE meat, avoid Dark meat and vegetables & add a little scoop of mashed potato.
- Or Get a smaller plate
- Eat Pumpkin pie Vs. Pecan or Candied yams.
- Lastly… just remember its only ONE Day.. so don’t beat yourself up and enjoy!
Busy Schedule…” I forgot to eat”
- Never Skip Breakfast… take 3mins to make oatmeal, a fruit smoothie or eat a breakfast bar.
- Always carry healthy snacks with you like: Fruits, Almonds, baby carrots.
Pre-plan your meals… have an idea of what your going to eat.