One of my favorite childhood foods was when my mom would make Albondigas soup a Mexican meatball soup and it has been about that long since I have had it. So today I decided as the weather got a little chilly and crisp here in NYC to make my moms Albondigas soup the Mexican meatball soup) recipe.
Here is the easy step-by-step recipe to follow.
** Keep in mind I just add enough spices as I want not exactly this measurement. Experiment & have fun!
1/2 lb lean ground beef or turkey ( I used turkey)
1 egg, beaten
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup of uncooked rice
1/2 cup cilantro leaf, chopped
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
One large deep pot
8 cups chicken broth(low sodium) or if you use Knorr use water and add Knorr to it until it taste right.
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes (with no salt added added)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 cup cilantro
1 large zucchini, sliced
2-3 Carrots peeled and sliced
1. Make the meatballs first: Combine everything and mix thoroughly.
3. In a pot add olive oil and your diced onion and cook until brown
4. Combine water, chicken broth, onion, celery, tomatoes and their liquid, cumin, oregano and cilantro leaves in a large pot.
5. While you wait to bring the soup to a boil, prepare your veggies. I like using carrots and zucchini, but you can add potato and canned corn to it also. My dogs Buzz & Bella love it when I am slicing up carrots. They are just hoping one falls! So they always help when momma is cooking .
6. Bring to broil, and drop meatballs in the soup (Make sure the soup is slightly boiling, the meatballs need to be cooked quickly).
7. Return to boil and cook another 10 minutes the add your zucchini. You could add 1 cup of uncooked rice to it so it cooks together (Optional)
8. Return to boil and cook another 10 minutes the add your zucchini. You could add 1 cup of uncooked rice to it so it cooks together (Optional)
9.After 20-25 minutes of boiling your meatballs should be floating on the top of the soup and your veggies should be soft, but not mushy.
Lastly serve in a bowl and enjoy!